I've been researching my next dive trip, thinking about Burma for a change of scene; having found AIDC's trip to Burma I then soon encountered these negative threads. It certainly makes one think (and worry) as a potential customer, and is as far as I can tell quite unfair to the company's reputation.

The booking details on AIDC website clearly state their policy about cancellations and refunds, which are pretty much standard. I for one have a diver's insurance package which covers late cancellations for certain reasons - if the couple involved had no such insurance, they took a gamble and lost.

It appears this initial lack of refund left them all bent out of shape, and the trip would be a disaster regardless. Their other points of complaint are mainly subjective, and not substantiated by the other guests' experiences.

The exception could be the first dive, to which I hold some sympathy. This is always the most stressful dive for me, and I like to be molly-coddled a little to get into the swing of things, and it is reassuring to have the guide close by. Again, there is possibly a communication mix-up regarding this and the wife being a divemaster herself; it is impossible to judge right or wrong here without having been there.

Regarding the company compensating the couple, it seems the very cheap rate given for the Burma trip was already a great deal and a decent act. The other inconveniences they 'suffered' really seem minor. Many would have been delighted with an extra unexpected Burma excursion.

Lastly, it seems there will be some remedial action taking place to improve the cabin in question, so the company is not ignoring the complaint.

I just hope I don't have to eat my words if I book with them for next year, but from the balance of what I've been reading, I would think not.